When we build, we think about the way we want to live: safely, with beauty and with room to play.
For us, success is long term. It’s about people and their experiences: their first home, their dream home, the park where their children and their grandchildren take their first steps, their view at sunset, their favourite tree.
As a family-owned company, our values and our commitment to our community are non-negotiable. They determine how we treat people, how we choose partners, how we give, how we do business. Maclab Development Group Ltd (MDG) is a highly innovative and entrepreneurial group that is continually exploring new ways to meet the evolving housing needs of contemporary individuals and families. MDG is responsible for the sourcing, acquisition, design, development, and marketing of MDG’s development projects focused on new communities, retail and multifamily assets. The company’s efforts to source new revenue properties and continue the rejuvenation and redevelopment of recently acquired assets and properties held by the company for many years is a focus of significant energy and will allow the company to drive the growth of the asset base in the future.
With recent growth we are searching for a new role to join our team.
The Senior Accountant role is focused on accounting, tax and financial analysis. You will primarily be responsible for assisting in providing management and ownership with accurate and timely accounting information. The duties include but are not limited to: Preparing the projects as assigned. Producing detailed review on the work prepared by other accountants within Company. Coaching other team members as needed. This position primarily reports to the Controller and will support Maclab Development Group senior management on special projects as required.
Key Responsibilities of this Role:
· Prepare and maintain the accounting policy memo.
· Prepare the supporting working papers for US tax purposes.
· Prepare monthly consolidated debt summary and track debt covenant.
· Prepare quarterly private equity investment valuation.
· Prepare year-end files including accounting and tax as assigned.
· Detailed review month end, quarter end and year-end accounting files including working paper financial statements, and management reporting for various corporate entities.
· Review monthly Goods and Services Tax filings.
· Review reconciliations of Investment broker statements and review appropriate journal entries for investment transactions.
· Review Statistics Canada survey.
· Assist the Controller in coaching other members.
· Assistance with financial reporting and tax compliance.
· Assistance with accounting journal entries and reconciliation of accounts, financial statements and note disclosures as required.
· Assistance with corporate income tax returns including detailed supporting working papers for various corporate entities as required.
· Assistance with the financial reporting requirements related to Development projects.
· Assistance with audit queries from external auditors and CRA auditors as required.
· Prepare accurate financial records and provide senior management with pertinent financial information.
· Maintain financial records, including manual file and electronic record storage systems.
· Cover in the absence of other members in the department.
· Develop a thorough understanding of the business.
· Other projects and activities as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities we are Searching For:
· +2 years of senior level experience in accounting, financial reporting and Canadian income and excise tax.
· Chartered Professional Accountant designation or recognized equivalent.
· Industry experience in a real estate property management or land development environment is an asset.
· Thorough knowledge of ASPE and financial disclosure requirements.
· Thorough knowledge of corporate and personal income tax compliance requirements and the ability to apply them.
· Thorough knowledge of Goods and Service Tax issues and compliance.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, shareholders, and members of the general public.
· Ability to assemble and organize information and research material as required.
· Ability to deal confidently and professionally with individuals at all levels, including the public and other industry professionals.
· Ability to act with independence and judgment with minimal supervision and has strong problem-solving skills.
· Attention to detail, ability to juggle priorities in order to meet deadlines, and critical thinking.
· Professional presentation, positive attitude, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Proficient in all Microsoft Office programs; Word and Excel are critical; basic computer database management skills are also required.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.